- To be able to carry out a risk assessment of the tasks in hand
- Enter and leave the cab safely
- Understand the purpose and meaning of the instrumentation
- Understand the function of all controls
- Understand the hazards associated with some controls
- Start and stop the engine in a safe manner
- Be competent in driving a tractor in a forward and reverse direction
- Leave the tractor in a safe state
- Understand reasons for daily checks
- Competently perform checking of the lubrication, cooling, and air intake of the engine, perform basic lubrication of the tractor and ensure the tractor is in a safe road going state
- Attach a mounted implement and manoeuvre in a forward and reverse direction with a mounted implement
- Attach a trailed implement and manoeuvre in a forward and reverse direction with a trailed implement
- Leave unattached implements in a safe state
- Correctly attach a PTO shaft between tractor and implement
- Attach the PTO shaft guards correctly
- Assess the minimum turning circle of the machine and the angle of the PTO shaft
- Carry out basic operations using tractor mounted loader
Who is the course for?
Suitable for all tractor drivers, both novices and experienced drivers in agriculture, amenity, forestry, industrial and horticulture industries.
1 to 5 days, dependent on the drivers experience and the sections to be included. Classroom and practical.
Contributes knowledge towards units where tractors are used, eg 'Transport Mechanically' and 'Establish Crop by Mechanical Means' at levels 1, 2 & 3 in Production NVQs/SVQs 'Crop and Livestock', Mechanised Field Crop' and 'Fruit Crop'. Also contributes towards NVQ level 2 and SVQ levels 2 and 3 in 'Estate Maintenance.
Max: 1:4, or in some cases 1:2.
- Preparation and Maintenance
- Safe procedures and observation
- Safe driving and handling of tractor
- Hitching/maneuvering with trailer implements
- Fitting and operation of PTO's
- Hitching/maneuvering with mounted implements
- Basic use of a tractor mounted loader
- When arranging a course every effort should be made to cover all sections of the programme so that trainees get a full pass certificate, it should be as a last resort that sections are excluded due to lack of equipment or facilities, where trainees will get a part pass certificate.
- Overalls/safety boots
- Ear defenders (if applicable)
- Operators Instruction Books for own machinery
Warm, well lit room with adequate tables and chairs plus lighting and power points, large, dry, well lit and warm shed with a suitable work area, washroom and toilet facilities, large area suitable for driving practice, with cones or similar.
Publications included in this package
Skills guides, operators questions, assessment forms.
Tractor Driving basic ( 1 day) - £120+VAT
Tractor Driving leading to NPTC MO1 Certificate (4 days) - £480+VAT
Tractor Driving leading to NPTC MO1/M01a Certificate (5 days) - £600+VAT
NPTC Test - £70
- Free off road parking
- Tea & Coffee
- Cost of certificate
We also offer discounts on multiple bookings
Find out what people are saying about our courses. Read testimonials.